Several years ago, I decided to attempt a laser hair removal treatment and was very disappointed in the overall results and cost. After a less than pleasant experience, I swore I would never try it again. Well, never say never…
Many of you have probably seen all of the celebrity posts and stories tagging SEV Laser Aesthetics. From the entire Kardashian family, Chrissy Teigen, Vanessa Hudgens, Shay Mitchell, Lauren London, Pia Mia…you get the point. SEV Laser is a favorite among celebrities and social media stars alike. After seeing it enough on Instagram, I decided to give it another go. If Kylie Jenner loves it, then why wouldn’t I?💁♀️
This post will be Volume I of The Complete Guide to Laser Hair Removal. I will post about every session and answer any of the nitty-gritty questions that you may have. This post will include Session One and I will cover all of the pricing, scheduling, pre & post treatment instructions, the session itself, etc.
So, let’s get started! Welcome to The Complete Guide to Laser Hair Removal: Session One. Are you ready for a Hair-Free Day?
How Does It Work?
One of the biggest questions most people have is “How does it work?” The process is actually pretty simple! The Nurse Practitioner will take a concentrated laser (beam of light) and aim it at your targeted areas. The laser gets absorbed by the pigment in your hair follicles. The heat from the laser fries the hair and prevents it from further growth. The best part is that laser hair removal doesn’t leave any irritating razor bumps or ingrown hairs like the other waxing and shaving methods. Laser hair removal is designed to leave your skin looking smoother, tighter and of course, hair-free! Can you say bikini season?👙
Many medical spas get away with murder on what they charge you per procedure. I was relieved to find out that SEV Laser’s pricing was VERY reasonable and they even offer your 6th session for free if you buy 5 sessions! Typically, it takes about 6 sessions for optimal results, so this is actually a great deal.💰 Check out the pricing listed on SEV Laser’s website below:
Scheduling Your First Appointment
I always recommend scheduling an appointment way ahead of time as many places are booked up a month in advance. SEV Laser provides a super convenient online booking system, but I always prefer to call and see if I can get something earlier. The process was super easy and the girl I spoke with couldn’t have been nicer. After booking, they sent me several medical forms to fill out (since laser hair removal is considered a medical procedure completed by a Nurse Practitioner). After that, they explained that I would receive pre-treatment instructions via email.
As I had done laser hair removal in the past, I was pretty familiar with the Pre-Treatment Instructions. Some more than others may be hard to follow, but if you really want it to work, I highly recommend following the instructions as much as possible. Here were SEV Laser’s Pre-Treatment Instructions:
- A Nurse Practitioner will contact you via Facetime or Skype approx. 24 hours before your first appointment to sign off that you can “medically” receive the treatment.
- No sun exposure, tanning lotions, tanning beds, tanning sprays, and tanning solutions can be used 2-4 weeks before your treatment (The hardest one in my opinion!).
- No Antibiotics, Iron Pills, Retin-A, Aspirin or any blood thinning medications should be used 2-weeks prior to your treatment.
- No Accutane or Immunosuppressants in the last 6 months.
- Treatment area(s) must be free of makeup, lotions, deodorants, and ointments.
- Shave 24-48 hours prior to your appointment. No waxing, bleaching, tweezing, threading, Nair, etc. for 4-weeks prior to your appointment.
- No facial treatments, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels for at least 2-weeks before your laser treatment.
- You may not get the treatment if you are pregnant or nursing.
- You must notify your Nurse if you have any of these medical conditions: Heart Disease, Thyroid, Diabetes, Cancer, Skin Disease, etc.
- If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must be present at the appointment.
Don’t panic! Laser hair removal may seem scary, painful, and awkward, but if you go to a trustworthy place, you will have a very enjoyable experience. I walked in to SEV Laser in Hermosa Beach, CA and was greeted by a super friendly girl at the desk. I checked myself in via iPad and was all set!
SEV Laser is known for their chic LA decor. The Hermosa Beach location was a blogger’s haven and all I wanted to do was take pictures (and redecorate my entire apartment)!🤩 I was offered mints, water, and a comfy place to sit while I relaxed and waited for the Nurse Practitioner. I felt like I was having a spa day! Take a look at the not so shabby waiting areas below:
After about 5 minutes, the Nurse Practitioner called me in and immediately she made me feel comfortable and relaxed. She walked me through the entire process and answered all of my questions. I opted to get two areas done — the full brazilian bikini and my armpits. So naturally, I had to take off my clothes in front of this complete stranger! May seem awkward right?! WRONG. I love this below quote from SEV Laser. It explains the experience with your Nurse Practitioner perfectly!
“Just know she is a trained medical professional that sees fabulous people like yourself in their bare essentials ALL DAY! So welcome to the club, sit back and relax. She will explain about the laser, what you’ll feel, what you shouldn’t feel, treatment process, time frame, your expected results and your post treatment instructions. So just like your eye lash girl, your nail lady, and your barista that makes your latte just as skinny as you need it.. she’s your go to girl and a true resource. So ask questions and basque in the HAIR FREE experience that is Sev Laser Aesthetics.”
If you ever experience anything unprofessional or feel uncomfortable in any way, DO NOT feel obligated to stay and let someone know right away. You should always be in a safe and judgment free zone.
Overall, the entire treatment for me was awesome! It lasted about 10 minutes and it honestly didn’t hurt at all! SEV Laser’s innovative machine ensures less pain and better results. Depending on your pain tolerance level, you may feel some discomfort, but be sure to communicate with your Nurse Practitioner if it is too painful. Listen to your body!
After my laser hair removal treatment, the Nurse Practitioner explained all of the Post-Treatment Instructions and asked if I had any questions. There weren’t many, but here they are:
- No sun exposure, tanning lotions, tanning beds, tanning sprays, and tanning solutions 2-4 weeks after your treatment.
- No facial treatments, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels for at least 2 weeks after your laser treatment.
- No exercise or deodorant for 24-hours post-treatment (Not gunna lie, the no deodorant thing felt a little weird at work the next day🤣).
- No jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, or hot showers for 24-72 hours post-treatment.
After I was clear on my post-treatment, I checked out at the front desk and scheduled my next appointment. It is recommended to get your laser hair removal treatment done every four to six weeks, so I’ll be back in April for Session Two!
I can honestly say that I am so happy with how my laser hair treatment went! I had the most luxurious and comfortable experience thanks to SEV Laser Aesthetics. The entire process was quick, convenient, and pain free. They made me feel like a QUEEN!👸 I can’t wait for my next session and to start seeing results.
I will update you after my next session, but in the meantime, feel free to comment below with any questions you may have and I’ll be sure to answer them! Thanks for following my laser hair removal journey…Ciao Bellas!