Many of you may be completely blown away by what I’m about to tell you. Please prepare yourselves. Ready?…
After 27 years of life, I just experienced my very first facial! I know that sounds crazy, but I suffered from terrible acne growing up. Ever since then, I have always been very careful and paranoid about how I treat my face. The thought of getting a facial and possibly aggravating my skin terrified me for years. However, after my experience at The Spa Le Merigot in Santa Monica, my opinion has completely changed. I had the most amazing facial and am now obsessed!😍
I purchased a Groupon that came with the below. It was an incredible deal! I highly recommend checking out Groupon to see what spas near you are offering special packages. Many of them will even include more than what is offered on the official website!
Spa Day with Facial Included:
- JW 50 minute signature facial
- Three spa VIP admission passes
- One seasonal cocktail
- Three hours of complimentary valet parking
- Access to hotel pool, sauna, and steam room
Continue reading to learn about my experience and “What to Expect at Your First Facial.” Remember, everyone’s skin is completely different and not every spa is credible. Please please do your own research before going in for any treatment!💜
Spa & Amenities
The Spa Le Merigot is nestled within the luxurious JW Marriott Santa Monica. The hotel is beautiful, quaint, and located directly on the beach! It is the perfect spot for a tropical spa getaway.
The spa lobby is decorated with a classy, beachy vibe. I felt immediately relaxed as soon as I walked in. The staff was so friendly and very accommodating. They offered complimentary water and snacks. Who doesn’t love free snacks?! They also displayed beauty products and leisure wear for you to purchase.
I highly recommend arriving at least 15 minutes early so that you can enjoy the amenities and start to unwind before your appointment. The locker room was small, but elegant. The amenities included lockers, complimentary robes, a steam room, a sauna, and lavender infused showers. From lotions to hairsprays, they provided every beauty product necessary to pamper and treat yourself!
To top it all off, the spa package includes access to the pool and cabanas. The pool is very secluded and provides a relaxing spot to complete the luxurious spa day. Lay out, drink a complimentary cocktail (or two😉), get a tan, and soak in the California sun. Don’t forget sunscreen! Your face will be extra sensitive after the facial treatment.
The Signature Facial
I started my spa day off by prepping for my facial in the locker room. I placed my belongings in a secured locker and changed into my complimentary (and might I add cozy AF☁️) robe.
Many of you may ask, what do you wear under the robe? The answer: Whatever you want! The whole idea is for you to be as relaxed as possible, so wear what makes you feel comfortable. I opted to just keep on my undergarments. Estheticians are professionals and are very accustomed to this, so there is no need to feel awkward!
Once I was changed, the front desk staff showed me into the “meditation” waiting area. There they had couches, heavenly smelling candles, tea, and lemon water for you to enjoy while you waited for your treatment. The idea is to clear your mind and unwind before the esthetician comes to get you. Close your eyes and make yourself at home!
Time for the facial! The esthetician came to get me after about 10 minutes and guided me to the treatment room. It was cozy, clean, and warm. She left me in the room for a few minutes to disrobe and get under the covers. Once I was settled, she came back in and explained the treatment. She asked me about my skin and the results I was looking for. She then created a personalized treatment for my skin type and problem areas. The esthetician made me feel completely at ease and made sure to explain every detail. I felt very confident and was excited to get started!
I received the JW Signature Facial that lasted for 50 minutes:
This signature facial is customized to your skin care needs using natural, healing ingredients by Naturopathica. Your skin will be evaluated and a personalized treatment will be designed to include a deep cleansing, fruit enzyme peel, soothing serum and mask. Your skin will be smoother, brighter and revived.
I also decided to treat myself to an additional “facial enhancement” because I was feeling extra fancy! I chose the High Frequency add-on. This may sound super intense, but it’s not! Here is what is does:
Stimulate, sanitize and heal the skin with high frequency currents that generate warmth in the skin and stimulate nerve endings. Direct high frequency treats dry and dehydrated skin by increasing the activity in the sebaceous glands and causing a skin warming effect. This provides benefits for those with blemish prone and acneic type skin by killing bacteria and eliminating oil.
Once my facial was complete, my esthetician concluded with post-facial instructions:
- Drink plenty of water
- Know that redness is normal
- Avoid exfoliation for 48 hours
- If going out in the sun, make sure to apply a “generous” amount of sunscreen (at least SPF 50)
- Try to avoid wearing makeup for at least 24 hours
- Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
My verdict? After the facial, I felt more relaxed and revived than I had in ages! My skin felt clean, clear, and softer than a baby’s bum.👶 My face was literally glowing! My fine lines, uneven skin tone, and dry skin were completely gone. I couldn’t even believe it!
Following the facial, I had unlimited access to the spa amenities and pool area. I sat in the sauna for about 10 minutes and then washed off in the lavender infused shower. It was glorious and completely ruined normal showers for me.😂
It was a cloudy, but warm day so I then took advantage of the pool cabanas and read a book. It was complete heaven and the perfect end to my spa retreat!
Overall, I had the most incredible experience! Not only was it relaxing, but I definitely saw and felt the results of the facial. It improved the texture and clarity of my skin, making me look 10 times younger! I made sure to keep up a healthy skincare routine following my treatment and plan on getting another one very soon!
First Time Tips
I learned a lot after my first facial. Check out some of my tips! If you are a seasoned facial veteran, I would love to hear your personal thoughts and tips as well. Please comment below!
- Do Your Research! Each spa and treatment is completely different. Make sure you check the credibility, reviews, practices, etc. before going in for any treatment. Referrals are the best!
- Arrive Early. I recommend arriving at your appointment at least 15 minutes early to make sure you have plenty of time to change and unwind.
- Schedule Morning Appointments. If you want the locker room to yourself, I recommend scheduling a morning appointment (8am – 11am). Most people won’t be awake that early and then you’ll also have the rest of the day to enjoy the pool, cocktails, amenities, etc.
- Ask Questions. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and know exactly what is included in the treatment. It is your body and your skin. Make sure you are comfortable and confident in what the esthetician is doing.
- Listen to Your Esthetician. Your esthetician is a professional and knows what he/she is talking about. Make sure to follow their pre and post treatment instructions for your ultimate health and the best results.
- Tipping is Recommended. Some places already include tipping, but some places leave it up to you. If you are happy with the treatment, be sure to thank your esthetician by leaving a tip (15% – 20%).
- Sunscreen is a MUST. Your skin will be extra sensitive after a facial. It is recommended to use at least SPF 50 to protect your skin and avoid sunburn.
- Wait to Exfoliate. Once again, your skin will be extra vulnerable to harsh elements. Avoid exfoliation for at least 48 hours to prevent irritation.
- Skip the Gym. Avoid hitting the gym for at least 24 hours after a facial. Sweating and increased circulation can aggravate the sensitive skin.
- Relax! Facials aren’t just for improving the skin. They are also for relaxation and for pampering yourself. You deserve it!
In conclusion, I could kick myself for not getting a facial sooner! I am now a superfan and would highly recommend it to anyone. There are so many different types of facials for any skin type. Make sure to speak with your esthetician to decide which treatment is best for you. I promise you won’t be disappointed! Ciao Bellas!☺️